Sunday, December 17, 2006

Newt Is A Piece of Work

I watched Newt Gingrich on Meet the Press this morning, and I also read the story about his appearance before some Republicans in New Hampshire.

He says that the imams who were praying in the airport in Minneapolis should have been arrested because they were acting like terrorists. And, he says, if you act like a terrorist in America, you should be guilty of being a terrorist until you prove yourself innocent.

Huh?

Then he goes on to say that we're going to have to abridge free speech in America in order to save ourselves from terrorism.

The scary part of this is there are thousands who probably agree with him.

Well, I have news for Newt. It's too late to abridge free speech. Pardon me for sounding like some sort of radical, but I believe free speech is no longer a function of the First Amendment. It's a function of the Internet. Sure, the authorities can try to put the fires of free speech out. But they will fail. Here, in America, free speech is more genetic than constitutional, there's no way to stop it.

And, I think, Newt knows that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home