Friday, May 19, 2006

Mom's Peonies: 60 years old (at least) and going strong

I have written a column for the Monday Charleston Daily Mail about a peony that my mom planted nearly 60 years ago. Here's a picture of it taken earlier this week. It's healthier than ever.

She transplanted it from the place we lived in Guyandotte before we moved to where I live now. God knows how long it had been growing in Guyandotte. My grandmother may have planted it nearly a hundred years ago since my mom and dad lived in the house my grandma and grandpa lived in , probablyt since the 1890s.

I moved the peony once about 20 years ago - about 50 feet from where it used to grow.

By the way, I have a woody-stemmed hydrangea (snowball bush) my mom planted about the same time. It's showing its age, but it's still alive and I'm trying to nurse it back to health.

It's both exciting and conforting.

7 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, Blogger senioritis said...

Beautiful! I have a rose bush that's a similar family heirloom. It went from Newfoundland to Martha's Vineyard, then to West Virginia, and is now in my back yard in upstate New York. Everyone in the family has the rose bush in their yard. It blooms for only a week each year, in June, but its white blossoms are overwhelmingly fragrant.

 
At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder how many others have family plants? I have peonies of both my grandmother and father, a bush that I've never taken the time to identify from my uncle and a rose bush of my grandmothers. They will eventually make the trip from southern wv to Huntington.

 
At 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How awesome - I missed your column in the Daily Mail. Makes us think about the really important stuff. Very nice.

 
At 8:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave--This is not about the flowers but I need your column on the coal bowl not being put out for bid, please send it and I will be glad.

 
At 2:15 AM, Blogger John said...

Lovely flowers. We've never been in one place long enough to have "family plants," as one of your commentators put it.
John

 
At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peyton, are you still in that garden? Have you forgotten how to blog?

 
At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read » » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home