Saturday, April 01, 2006

Damn WalMart Anyway!

I went to WalMart yesterday and bought groceries and spring gardening stuff.

When I went to check out, the clerk said the bill was $78.97. I responded that I was in a financial pinch and I would pay only $50.00 for the merchandise. A manager was called and he refused the offer. So I left the goods on the checkout counter and walked out.

Well that didn't happen. But something similar happened at the South Charleston Samping Plant where uniokn workers said no to a plan to reduce their pay and benefits by the owners of the plant, ironically named Union Partners LLC.

If I truly tried to negotiate a price with WalMart, folks would think I was crazy. But I suspect there are those who believe the workers at the plant are too strident if not downright economically suicidal. We may even hear that from some in the right wing who think the only thing blue collar workers shoiuld says is "Pleas, Sire, May I have some more?"

Why didn't the stamping plan simply declare the cost of doing business at the plant incompatible with the future of the American auto industry and just shut it down? Probably because they thought they could put the blame on the workers.

Well, the workers as well as most other folks in West Virginia who know what the company is trying to pull won't fall for that.

As one employee told a tevivision news crew, if she doesn't accept the wage and benefits reduction, she'll lose her home. If she did accept the offer, her pay wouldn't be enough to pay the mortgage, so she'd still lose her home.

The union workers made the right decision and the owners should be ashamed they asked in the first place.

1 Comments:

At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey dude, if you have problem with walmart, try shopping in their online store. I think that would help you out.http://www.rollingpricesback.com. Befor i was shopping personally at walmart too. but i had some problems. I was tired shopping, my legs were in pain. so i decided to shop online. LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home