Saturday, August 27, 2005

No Matter Where You Go, There You Are

Hippie Killer stirred a nest of yellowjackets with a post on Fifth Column.

As someone pointed out, it was a rainy Friday and frustrations are often amplified on days such as that one. HK must have been in an absolute blue funk.

We live in a great country where, if you don't like where you are, you can either (a) try to change things or (b) move.

But, of course, that is an over-simplification. Due to economic, famiy or social reasons, some folks feel as if they are trapped.

In a perfect world, everyone in America would be happy with where they live and their environs would match their expectations perfectly. I suspect everyone has a list - sometimes a long list - of things they would change about where they live, not matter where they call home.

This region has not treated me well in a strict conomic sense. I worked for The Herald-Dispatch for 32 years when the newspaper's administration used a rule that I violated to fire me without as much as a warning. As a result, my resources will probably run out before I die.

I have received more criticism than plaudits for what I have written. People here seem to be more afraid of change than those elsewhere. Too many are locked in a lifestyle that is counter to mine and, in fact, may make no sense in the 21st Century.

But I love it here despite the people who wish me ill and who have even taken action to make my life miserable. I have news for them. It hasn't worked.

As I write this, a book of poetry called "Wild Sweet Notes II" published by Publisher's Place in Huntington is beside me. It contains the poetry of native West Virginians and those who have lived in West Virginia at least five years.

I simply can't be depressed about where I live when I read this poetry which celebrates more aspects of West Virginia than my limited capacity to comprehend can imagine.

West Virginia is sometimes hurtful, but there are enough singers of lyrical songs in this book of poetry to make me realize that home has a special meaning in this state.

And when all is said and done, "home" and its attendant trappings- good and bad - are all any of us have.

2 Comments:

At 4:06 PM, Blogger Dave Peyton said...

The collection contains the works of about 60 West Virginia poets. Amazon.com has it if you want to order it.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger primalscreamx said...

I have the same fear of resources running out. Long ago, I figured the best retirement program to invest in is one that involves a shotgun, a ski mask, a beat up Ford Pinto and a map of area convenience stores.
32 years... what bastards.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home