Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Byrd is the word

The late, great Tip O'Neill once observed that all politics are local. There are those who tell us that people who believe that are naive, perhaps even stupid, and don't see the big picture. They tell us that when it wuits their political goals.

Don't look at what's going on in your neighborhood, they say. Look at what's going on in the world. Well, I do that, but I firmly believe that if we don't take care of what's going on around us, we can't begin to understand or solve world issues.

What does all this have to do with Senator Robert C. Byrd? Everything. In my case, Byrd is THE reason I have a connection to the outside world so I can find out what's happening in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I have cable modem service from Adelphia, the cable company that went bankrupt because its owner stole millions, if not billions, from the company. I never had really great service from the company when it came to cable modem service. When my cable modem went out and I called the company, I was ALWAYS told it was my fault, that the cabling inside my house was the problem. This was despite the fact that I replaced every inch of it.

Out of frustratioin, I drafted a letter to Adelphia stating that I considered the problem one of lack of regulation. Cable modem serivce goes unregulated by the government, although I believe it should be regulated since it is a vital public service and becoming more vital every day.

I decided to send copies of the letter to my congressman - Nick Joe Rahall - and my two senators - Jay Rockefeller and Senator Byrd - since it contained an endorsement of legislation to bring cable modem service under federal regulation.

I heard nothing from Rahall and Rockefeller.

But guess what? Byrd forwarded the letter in the form of a complaint to the Federal Communications Commission, despite the fact the FCC has no authority over Adelphia's cable modem service.

But that didn't matter. The fact Byrd was on the case was enough. In less than a week, I got a phone call from Adelphia's general counsel for the Eastern Region telling me to hold on, help was on the way. A few days later, I received a call from Adelphia's chief engineeer based in Huntington telling me that the problem would be corrected. Then he gave me his private cell phone number!

A few days later, three cable guys showed up at my house to fix the problem by doing what should have been done three years previously. They re-wired the modem with a new connection to their outside lines.

A couple of weeks later, the modem went down, but so did a few hundred others connected to Adelphia in the area. An automobile accident cause the outage. Ten minutes after it came back, I received a call from Adelphia asking me if my cable servie had been restored.

And some of you jokers want me to vote against Byrd because he was briefly a member of the KKK 60 years ago.

Byrd got my cable modem problem fixed when no one else could. And you want me to forget that?

No way.




6 Comments:

At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, ain't you one lucky hillbilly f**ker. Now you can play on the internet rather that chase your sister tonight!! Thak got for the Klanner, R. Byrd the turd.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Dave Peyton said...

I maintain two commercial Web sites and I write an Internet column for Tribune Media Services, a subsidiary of the Chicago Tribune, in which I surf the Web and write a "What's Online" column for the syndicate.

It's not playing. It's business.

In the vernacular of us West Virginia hillbillies: "Put it where the sun don't shine."

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Hippie Killer said...

Wow Dave, I thought a post like this would bring better comments, but I guess this is what happens when Republicans use the internets. Let's see Shelly Moore Capito fix his connection when it goes down...

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Jack said...

I think you can attribute the success of your modem to the senator's office, not himself. I guarantee you that Byrd didn't see the letter himself. However, part of being a great senator is employing the right people to tend to the needs of the constituents.

-Jersey Perspective

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger lordrelay said...

Senator Byrd rules. That's all I have to say right now.

But you can visit my site for the most comprehensive Byrd support in the world.

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When the Republicans criticize our great Senator Byrd, for all he has done for WV, I don't care if his name is written in the sky across WV, as long as our state gets some of the cash that Washington sends out. What have the Republicans done for you lately?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home