Monday, August 01, 2005

More on 'maters

If you read my column in today's Daily Mail, you already know my love for West Virginia tomatoes.

Here's a secret recipe I don't share with everyone but since you found my blog, yo are a friend, so here it is:


First, get some Old Fashioned Wilted Lettuce Salad Dressing from Appalachian
Mountain Specialty Foods in Sandyville WV - http://www.zestsauce.com. You
can order it online.

Cut up some tomatoes, green peppers, cucumbers and sweet onions and put 'em
in a bowl. Pour the dressing over the whole shebang and let it marinate for
a day to two.

Eat it with half runner beans and corn.

Pure ambrosia.

1 Comments:

At 9:57 AM, Blogger Dave Peyton said...

Art:

I sent half runner bean seeds to a gardening friend in southern California a few years ago and he, too, loved them.

From what I can determine, half runner beans are native to West Virginia. They were originally from a garden in Calhoun County and first sold about a hundred years ago at a hardware and seed store in Summersville.

And yes, they must be "cooked to death." Dragging them through hot water doesn't work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home